Monday, 27 July 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! 2015 #8

If you don't know anything about RSW, it's a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime MorrowErin FunkKaty UppermanElodie Nowodazkij, and Alison Miller--click here for all the details. (Here are my first and last posts for RSW 2014, and first and last for RSW 2013.)





1. How I did on last week’s goals:


  • Complete a revision of (the manuscript formerly known as) THE QUIETEST KIND -- I've worked out everything I need to complete (scenes to add, threads to weave in, little fixes) and I'm working my way through. I'm feeling good about everything that needs to be done.


2. My goal(s) for this week:

  • Complete a revision of (the manuscript formerly known as) THE QUIETEST KIND.


3. A favourite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:


Clarity.

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Getting over my fear of the messy part. You know, when you're chopping away at different sections and pulling out paragraphs and it all seems like it's beyond hope; the part right before the revision comes together and it all makes sense again. I'm deep in it now and it's always scary to see it coming apart.

5. Something I love about my WIP:

The relationship between my MC, Audrey, and her sort-of stepfather, Adam. He doesn't know how to be a dad and she doesn't know how to treat him like a grown-up -- so they're perfect together.


See you next week!

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, clarity, what an awesome word! Also, the relationship that you described between your MC and her sort-of-stepfather sounds super interesting. We'd definitely wanna read about that dynamic. Good luck on your goal this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam and Quita above... the relationship between Audrey and Adam sounds very interesting! Glad you're enjoying writing it.

    Also, I know that exact stage you're referring to in the revision process. I sent a terrified email to some writing buddies like, "guys I can't do this omg this is too much!!" and they were like, "okay. calm down. breathe. you're being dramatic. just keep going." It is so scary to feel like you might get through everything and have nothing but disconnected scraps left over, but like you said... it WILL come together and it WILL make sense. Good luck finishing your revisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about the messy part of the revision process. I'm still drafting my WiP but can already see tons of places for revision...cue the anxiety! Best of luck on finishing your revisions, and you're right: it'll all come together on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's always the worst part of a revision- that and the beginning where you staring at your manuscript and wondering just how the heck you're going to fix it all. O.O
    I loved the relationship between Audrey and Adam- he made such an interesting step-father. Good luck on your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya on the revising part and pulling it apart! You described it exactly how I feel it is too! Good luck getting all the pieces back together!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm that pulling apart stage myself. On this side of things, it's hard to see how it's all going to gel again, but it will. And can I just say again, I loved the relationship between Audrey and Adam. So good! Yay for clarity! Hope the revisions continue to go well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that relationship between your characters sounds awesome! And yay for clarity! Good luck with completing your revision!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm feeling good about everything that needs to be done." That's an awesome feeling to have :)

    Good luck with your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does feel like a mess during revisions that will never come together. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're packing for a camping trip here, and it's the same story - after a week of feeling as though we really weren't getting anywhere, I'm starting to see the pieces coming together, and that's good, since we leave in a few hours!

    Clarity is wonderful - and that relationship - it sounds a lot like our family (without the 'step' part. Our kids treat adults like people, and expect the same in return, which has definitely thrown a few folks along the way!).

    May this week be even better than you think. Since I'm shifting from a drafting focus to a revision one, you've provided some inspiration, and a light at the end of the tunnel!


    ReplyDelete