Monday, 6 July 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! 2015 #5

If you don't know anything about RSW, it's a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime MorrowErin FunkKaty UppermanElodie Nowodazkij, and Alison Miller--click here for all the details. (Here are my first and last posts for RSW 2014, and first and last for RSW 2013.)





1. How I did on last week’s goals:


I wrote a little less than 2400 words this week and passed 50k, that magic number that makes me think a draft can become A Finished Manuscript.

Other goals:
  • Read one book from my TBR -- I read FAR FROM YOU by Tess Sharpe (my heart aches just thinking about it; if you haven't read it, you need to). Now I'm halfway through THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER.
  • Go to bed before midnight at least four nights this week -- ...like, I'm not sure why I'm even trying anymore. 
  • Drink tons of water -- easy to achieve since it was as hot as the surface of the sun all week. 

2. My goal(s) for this week:

My overall goal this summer was to finish the draft I'm working on, but last week I got notes from my agent (my agent! Still weird!) on the manuscript formerly known as THE QUIETEST KIND, so I might have to adjust a little. (I'm hopeful I can complete these revisions and the draft by the end of RSW, but we'll see.) At the moment I'm still in the processing-and-thinking stage of revising, so it won't really affect this week's goals. Well, except for one...


  • Find the perfect title for the manuscript formerly known as THE QUIETEST KIND. (Okay, okay: find suggestions for what maybe could be a good title.)
  • Write five days this week. (Try for 500+ words each time.)
  • Go to sleep BEFORE MIDNIGHT.
  • Read more.

3. A favourite line from my story OR one word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised:


She curled her hands into Delaney's shoulders — hard, from the soft hiss Delaney let out — and closed her eyes and her head fell back, knocking hard against the wall but Jules didn't care and Delaney's lips pressed up against her ear and her voice whispered, "You look so beautiful right now," and —

4. The biggest challenge I faced this week:

Did I mention it was hotter than the surface of the sun this week? (In England terms, I mean.) So mostly I was sweating my face off in my baby pool in the garden or sweating my face off in work.

5. Something I love about my WIP:

Bad decisions. Oh, so many bad decisions.

See you next week!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh... that excerpt! So good, Becky! In fact, it reminds me a little bit of FAR FROM YOU, which I loved. Best of luck finding the perfect title for your MS. I'm 23K into my first draft and am still referring to it as New WiP, so I know who frustrating the titling process can be. Judging from your excerpt, though, your writing skillz are most excellent, so I'm certain you'll come up with the perfect title. Have a great week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the excerpt! Good luck finding a new title. I am not a fan of really hot weather, so I feel you there. I just want to stay in A/C all day and never come out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad decisions. My MC is making so many of those and I weirdly love it. :) Also, good luck on the title thing. It will come, but it is frustrating not to have a title that works. I can attest to that. Hope you have a cooler and productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on hitting 50K! *dance party* And ooh, AVA LAVENDER is on my TBR...can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    Happy writing this week, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great excerpt, Becky! And congrats on crossing that 50K mark! 2400 words this week is pretty darn great. :-) I hope you're able to come up with the perfect title for your story. I'm sure you'll come up with awesome suggestions. Good luck with your revisions and finishing up the first draft of your current WiP. I believe in you, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your title. And that excerpt is awesome. Congrats on all the words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, I love the bad decisions our characters make! I hope you managed to stay cool and productive this week. (I, also, have been failing at going to bed in a timely manner.) <3

    ReplyDelete