Monday, 8 June 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! 2015

If you don't know anything about RSW, it's a summer writing intensive hosted by Jaime MorrowErin FunkKaty Upperman, Elodie Nowodazkij, and Alison Miller--click here for all the details. (Here are my first and last posts for RSW 2014, and first and last for RSW 2013.)



I am so (so, so, so) glad RSW is back again. I don't know what it is, but something about this summer writing intensive works magic on me. Last year I managed to finish the first draft of a manuscript that was really dragging me down, and in 2013 I finished a big revision of my much-loved-but-sadly-shelved MS FATE AND OTHER GAMES, as well as starting the rewrite that eventually became the manuscript I'm querying now. I'm sending vibes to the universe to bring me that magic again this summer, because I really need to get my shit together. Come on, kid: do it.

My overall goal for Ready. Set. WRITE! 2015 is to finish the first draft of my punk girl band manuscript. That's all. That's easy.

(Say it enough, and my brain will start to believe it, right?)

Right now I have 44k and so many scenes cluttering my head. It's the getting them from my head to the screen that's proving just a little bit of a problem. So, with that in mind, let's get to it.

*   *   *

My goal(s) for this week:

Write 2000 words. (Not too crazy, but 1: I am seemingly incapable of writing at the moment, and 2: My parents are moving house this week, and I happen to live with my parents, therefore I am also moving house this week. But I can do this.)

*   *   *

Here's hoping that this is the beginning of a summer filled with so many words, for all of us.

13 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you're joining us again, Becky! :D And I really hope RSW works its magic on you again. I'm hoping the same for myself, too. Because I also need to get my shit together. Moving...bleh. Been there. Hope it goes smoothly and isn't too disruptive to the awesome writing routine you're going to have. ;-) Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at "punk girl band." Sounds fantastic, and I'm so glad you're joining us again this summer. I agree -- there's something magical and motivating about having to report your progress, and knowing that others are rooting for you to be successful. Best of luck with your goals, Becky! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving does cause some distractions but you got this! One step at a time who knows the change in scenery could get you back on track:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Punk girl band?! SOLD. OMG. Please let me know if you need readers. RSW is definitely magical. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds awesome! Pretty much all you had to say was Punk girl band and I'm sold. So, get writing! :) Cheering you on this week and yay for joining us again this year! May the force of RSWrite be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Adrianne--that WIP sounds killer! Excited to be writing with you this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well... the universe may be listening, but it expects us to do some of the nitty gritty too. You can do it. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! I'm in the "need to get my shit together" boat too! Glad we'll be working towards similar goals! :) And you're totally right about RSW. It really is magic and gets me so motivated! Good luck with your goals and with moving - because that's no joke either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals and with moving!

    Also, RSW is magic for me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. RSW works wonders for me as well, Becky! Sometimes I just need the accountability that RSW provides to keep me in shape. I hope your week goes well with writing and moving. I just moved, too, and it can be hectic, but you can do it all!!!! :)

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! This sounds fun and I wish I had writing goals this summer. Right now I'm in between projects and my goal is: write something, anything. In any case, I wish you the best of luck with querying and with your punk girl band novel! That sounds so awesome : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Punk girl band manuscript??? Yes, please!!

    As everyone has mentioned, there's something magical about RSW, and I'm so glad it's here. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Punk Girl Band Manuscript?! Gimmegimmegimme!
    Good luck with the writing this week and I hope the move went well :D

    ReplyDelete