Monday, 11 August 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! 2014 #10

{click here for all the RSW details!}


How I did on last week’s goal(s)

I was aiming to write five days this week, but I actually ended up doing seven, so I'm pretty happy!

My goal(s) for this week

I really, really, desperately want to get to THE END of this draftso I actually need to figure out what I want the ending to be. I want to start drastically shortening my scenes, too, getting the bare minimum written--usually I don't like to be "lazy", but I just want to get words down and this first draft done so I can move on to something else for a while.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

       She heard Caleb’s sigh, could picture him rubbing his hand over his face in that tired way he would when she insisted on another practice midterm. “Do we have to do this over the phone? I’d rather talk to you in person. I could come over. Or,” he added when Britt didn’t say anything, “we could go someplace. If you feel more comfortable with that.”
       “I can’t.”
       “Why not?” he said, and he sounded frustrated now. “Come on, Britt. Don’t push me away.”
     “I’m not,” she said. “I swear. But the thing is, I’m in New Mexico right now and it’s kind of a long way to drive to get coffee with you.”
     The cute couple came into sight again, back around that corner they’d disappeared around, and now Britt was right opposite them—could hear their voices rising and falling as they walked by. Her stare must have been less subtle than she thought, because the tall one looked over at her, giving her a cautious smile.
     “What the fuck are you doing in New Mexico?” Caleb laughed, sweet sound in her ear. “Britt Montgomery, you are so weird.”
        “It’s a long story.” Britt dipped her chin at the guy across the street, feeling her cheeks heat, and then looked away. She flicked out her tongue to wet her lips and let herself exhale. “Maybe I’ll tell you about it sometime.”

 The biggest challenge I faced this week

My sleep schedule is so out of whack, and I'm losing all the morning writing time I was having before because I'm still lying in bed. I need to make friends with my alarm again (and maaaybe stop staying up until stupid o'clock watching Orphan Black).

Something I love about my WIP

A certain boy named Caleb. I can't help it--my stories are not complete unless they feature a sweet, hot boy somewhere!


See you next Monday for another check-in!

7 comments:

  1. Omg - I love me some sweet hot boys! And congrats on all the writing progress this week! That's awesome!

    Loved the snippet, btw! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh TV binge-watching...I feel you on that one! Loved your excerpt though, and I think your goal of just finishing up the draft and editing later is a good one. Hope this week is just as productive for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this excerpt, particularly that it's in 3rd person, and done so incredibly well! I'd absolutely keep right on reading if I could. Congrats on writing every day this week! I'm rooting for you to figure out your ending and get there soon. Have a great week, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so bad about staying up stupid late and paying for it in the morning. Even with a child, when I know I am going to have to get up super early, I still can't stop myself from staying up all night. I hope you get your sleep back on track, but at least you're still being productive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like this excerpt! Good luck this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we must be long lost twins b/c you described exactly how I'm feeling about my story right now, needing to get to the end so I can set it aside. Yes, please! =) Congrats on all your writing days last week, and best wishes for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your excerpt! I totally hear you on the TV distractions. My husband and I just finished the first season of Orphan Black and it was SO GOOD. Can't wait to watch season two.

    Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete