Monday, 14 July 2014

Ready. Set. WRITE! 2014 #6

{click here for all the RSW details!}


How I did on last week’s goal(s)

I wrote six days this week, one more than I'd set myself. It wasn't pretty, but I did it.

My goal(s) for this week

Write 500+ words five days this week.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

Dear Diary: it is three hours later and I have no clue what I was talking about. I feel like I should point out that my use of the phrase ‘dear diary’ is strictly ironic. Much like my wearing of scrunchies and hair metal band shirts. According to Nicole, in fashionland you can get away with anything as long as you say you’re doing it ironically. Imagine if the rest of life was like that. “Yes, officer, I killed him, but I did it ironically.” Let’s be real, men get away with killing women on shittier excuses than that.  
 The biggest challenge I faced this week

Fatigue. This draft seems to be never-ending (I feel the same way about all my drafts, but this one especially feels like the end keeps getting further and further away the more I write).

Something I love about my WIP

Exploring how people deal with grief in so many different and strange ways.


See you next Monday for another check-in!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing your goal (and then some)! I hope your draft fatigue lets up soon and you get closer and closer to the ending. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced draft fatigue with my current MS two times. Once where the story petered out and the other when it ran away to somewhere I wasn't expecting and didn't like. Both times, I completely restarted writing it. I didn't settle into the story until my third attempt. It's scary, but your story is in there! You just gotta keep writing!

    From your excerpt and from what you love about your MS, it seems like you have a hefty story to tell. That can take so much time and so much energy, but I know it'll be worth it in the end! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the voice in your excerpt and how it ends in a hook! Definitely made me want to read more. Hope this week is just as productive for you (but less tiring!) :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This is how I feel so often when drafting: "It wasn't pretty, but I did it." And hey, you can pretty it up during the revision stage, right? I loved the excerpt you shared! It made me laugh right out loud, especially the bit about wearing hair scrunchies and hair metal band shirts to be ironic. Too funny! Sounds like your story has great voice! I really hope the end of your WIP feels closer soon and that you'll find yourself in the home stretch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for writing that extra day! Keep going and before you know it, this draft will be DONE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your excerpt. Love the use of irony! Totally had me grinning!

    Way to go for exceeding your goals and I like you said "it wasn't pretty" but you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with your excerpt as well. Ironically...what an interesting word : ) Kind of like how everyone's freaking out over literally and figuratively these days. Best of luck with your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete