Wednesday, 4 June 2014

What's Up Wednesday: Puppy Edition!

{click here for a full list of participants!}

Hey, kids. It's Wednesday. What's up?

What I'm Reading:

So, like, if you haven't read WE WERE LIARS by now…what are you waiting for?

I know, I know, there's so much hype (she says, as she adds to said hype), and there's always the fear that the book won't live up to all of that. But, for me, this one really, really did. It made me turn back to the beginning and read parts again. It made me want to weep with the beauty of its words. It made me crazy with how smart it was. I loved it; you should read it. Finito.



What else? Oh, yes--EVERYTHING LEADS TO YOU. Nina LaCour is perhaps my favourite author and this magical, wondrous, flawed story reminded me why. My copy now has so many page corners folded over, so I can flick through and reread my favourite lines whenever I so feel. It's that kind of book.

How gorgeous is that cover?


What I'm Writing:

Blahblahblah drafting. I definitely need to push through and stay on track with this thing. I really want to have a finished draft sometime in the near future--not perfect, nowhere near perfect, but something done so that I can start fixing all of the problems I already know it has. Yes, revising is where my heart lies.

Last week this happened:

which is like…holy shit, people are reading my manuscript. It's so weird, when it lives for so long on your computer and no-one sees it but you, and then one day someone else actually has their eyes on it. I forget how nerve-wracking and sick-making this part is. (But exciting, too!)

…Shall we not talk about querying? Alrighty then.

What Inspires Me Lately:

Super into this song right now--I love the beat, the groove, his flow. (The video is cool, too, except for not letting me play it on here. Vevo: boo, you whore.)



What Else I've Been Up To:

Performing in a dance show--one of the ladies in my class runs her own dance school, and as a favour (slash we had no chance of saying no) we did a piece in the show she put together. A Fosse piece. YES.

{BOW TIE!}

Also, my parents decided they wanted a dog, so we adopted this cutie puppy Honey! (I'm still a crazy cat lady, don't worry. She's cute, and I love her and all, but…cats, yo. 4 lyfe.)

{Honey: "Love me!"}

That's about it! Peace out, y'all.

xoxo

16 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAW LOOK AT THAT LITTLE FACE!!!! Cuteness!

    It's so exciting to see people tweeting about reading your book. Really makes you believe in yourself :D You can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting! And I totally get the nerve-wracking thing - I usually shut people down when they ask about how my querying's going because even THINKING about it makes me tense!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH that dog is adorable!!!! I want!!!

    In other news, that tweet is SO exciting! Looks very promising :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about this post makes me smile... WE WERE LIARS = yes. Love. Honey the puppy = adorable! That tweet about your manuscript = awesomeness. And that photo of you = fantastic. You have the best sense of style, Rebecca! Hope you have a wonderful week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding me to put We Were Liars on my TBR list. I can't believe I forgot. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau is one of my favorite books ever, and I keep hoping she'll make a sequel. So exciting to have people tweeting about you! Congratulations on that. And the dog is very cute, but better you than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I totally forgot to mention WE WERE LIARS in my post today. That is the biggest of derps, I tell ya. I went back and amended my post after popping by your post and being reminded. Thanks! Such a good book. I should check out the Nina LaCour book you mentioned, too. It sounds good!

    How awesome that your words are out there, and even better, that people are loving them. That's fantastic, Rebecca! I know the segments you've shared in the past were pretty darn good, so I'm not even a bit surprised. :-) Hope you have a wonderful week! And good luck getting through that draft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post makes me smile, Rebecca. I love that puppy picture, that tweet about your ms, WE WERE LIARS and I can't wait to get my hands on the new Nina book. :-) That cover is STUNNING, holy crow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read We Were Liars apparently. I might be ordering it today...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drafting can get to be a bit much at times, but keep on trekking! I also read Everything Leads To You, and it really was a beautiful read! Wish I could join a dance class, a great way to have fun and burn some calories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything Leads To You really does have a beautiful cover - I may have to check that out some time!

    Honey is such an adorable puppy!

    Good luck with your drafting! Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I'm guessing I should read We Were Liars. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Also, Fosse YASSSS. Break a leg! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your puppy is adorable!!! I hope you keep sharing pics with us. :)

    I finally got a copy of We Are Liars so I'm definitely planning to read it next. I can't wait! I'm also excited to read Nina LaCour's newest because I loved her other books so much.

    I hear you about drafting. I also prefer to revise, which is why I'm excited that's all I have to do this summer! Good luck finishing up. And yay for that tweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got We Were Liars reserved at the library but still waiting...
    I read The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour because I'd heard so much great about it and while it was good, I wasn't blown away. Everything Leads to you does have a beautiful cover. Maybe I should give her another chance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have WE WERE LIARS on hold at the library right now, and I can't wait to see what all the hype is about.

    I love how you describe a first draft: ..."not perfect, nowhere near perfect, but something done so that I can start fixing all of the problems I already know it has." A big yes on this. I love drafting when I get in "the zone," but more often than not it's daunting to stare at a blank computer screen, even with an outline. There's something magical about the revision stage when you can finally shape and tweak and polish a story into exactly what you wanted it to be. Wishing you lots of luck on finishing up that draft!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only reason I haven't read We Were Liars yet is because I'm still waiting to get it from the library. SOON.

    The only thing I've read by Nina LaCour is The Disenchantments, which I absolutely loved, so I'll definitely be picking up Everything Leads to You.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhh, I keep hearing about WE WERE LIARS. Can't wait to get my hands on it!! :) And I worry about hype too ... I try listen to peeps I <3, who have similar reading tastes to mind, and get their book recs. It's so much more valuable than hype. So when you hype a book? I'll listen. :)

    ReplyDelete