Wednesday, 19 March 2014

What's Up Wednesday: "GTFO, Flu" Edition


{click here for a full list of participants!}


I haven't hopped on the WUW train in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to catching up with everybody! Flu and general exhaustion have kept me from doing absolutely anything productive recently. Except for watching films (sidenote: if you don't think Speed is one of the greatest movies of all time, I don't think we can be friends). But I'm almost all recovered now, so let's do this. (Also, can we talk about how cute that little robot is?!)

What I'm Reading:

I've been in a lame reading funk for the past couple of weeks--I read the Dear Teen Me anthology which was fun but not exactly challenging, i.e. perfect for someone with the flu. Right now I'm trying to get into LOVELY, DARK AND DEEP by Amy McNamara--it's got quite a choppy, sparse style, and it's taking me some time to get used to it.

{How gorgeous is that cover?}


What I'm Writing:

I took a break from drafting so I'm trying to get back into it…slowly. Y'know, sometimes it takes five hours to write 200 words, but all words is words. If you know what I mean. (I'm not sure I even know what I mean.)

Last week when I had time off from work, I planned on transferring the MS I was working on before this, THE QUIETEST KIND, to my iPad and doing some editing on there…but again, the flu got in the way. So I'm behind on where I wanted to be with that story, but that's the way things go sometimes.

What Inspires Me Right Now:

My WIP is definitely a summer story which is probably part of why I'm really into this choreography and this song (Watch Out For This by Major Lazer)--I am just so ready for the sun and for summer to be here! I have my paddling pool (upgrade from last years Sainsbury's special), I have bikinis, I have a playlist. I am READY.



What Else I've Been Up To:

Oh, did I mention that I had the flu? Because I had the stupid, ridiculous, disgusting flu. Of course on my week off from work I had to be sick! I actually threw up, and I haven't thrown up in seven years. I don't do throwing up. I did watch the Oscars, though, for the first time in my life. I also went to the chemist's with two odd shoes on…win some, lose some.

But on the bright side, before I got sick I saw the QUEEN of my entire LIFE, Mrs Carter a.k.a. BeyoncĂ© a.k.a. Queen Bey. My love for this woman goes back so far…I used to tape Destiny's Child videos off the TV, just sit around in front of MTV (yeah, because MTV actually used to play music videos!) until they came on and then press record as fast as humanly possible. The woman dropped an album, seventeen videos, without even a word of warning--because she can, because she's BeyoncĂ©. So, she was flawless live, her band was amazing, her dancers were amazing, her backing singers were amazing and that's one thing I can check off the do-before-I-die wishlist. Next up: sell a book! Or maybe get an agent first, yeah? Yeah.

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. Ugh, being sick sucks. I hope you're feeling a million times better soon!
    I have to agree with you that "all words is words". Definitely! I've been in such a writing slump for so long that it takes me about that long to write about the same amount of words. You're not alone! And I think having the flu is a pretty good reason not to write. I don't have any kind of excuse.
    I haven't listened to much of Beyonce's stuff, but I would probably love one of her concerts. She is just such a dynamic woman and I bet her concert would knock my socks off. Glad you got to go! Have a great week, Rebecca, with much less flu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone needs to take a break from writing every once in a while just to recharge, so I don't think you need an excuse! It is painful trying to get back into the swing of things, though, but at least we're both trying :)

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear you've been sick! Throwing up is THE WORST. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously is the WORST, ugh! I feel sorry for all the characters I've made throw up in the past...

      Delete
  3. Gah, so sorry to hear you were felled by the flu. I hope you get better soon. I tried writing when I was sick and on meds and it was a hot mess. You were smart to not go there. And Beyonce is EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't need any help making my work a hot mess, I can do that all on my own! Haha :)

      Delete
  4. I saw Beyonce as well and agree with you - she's amazing and her band and dancers are brilliant too! I didn't realise she was so small either. Were you singing "I woke up like dis" for days afterwards too?! Hope you continue making a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every single day since! And I have a serious Drunk In Love problem, too…wish i could go back, it all went by so quickly!

      Delete
  5. Yuck flu! That sounds awful, but at least it's over now, right? And you're right--the cover for Lovely, Dark and Deep is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete