Wednesday, 5 February 2014

What's Up Wednesday, "About This WIP…" Edition

{click here for a full list of participants!}

What I'm Reading:

Laurie Halse Anderson's latest, THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY. (Oh, can we talk about that title for a minute? How amazing is it? I cannot even.) Laurie Halse Anderson is one of my writing heroes, an author I read when I was an actual Young Adult (probably before I should have been reading her, actually) who makes me want to be a better writer every time I read her words. And TIKOM is no different to PROM or WINTERGIRLS…it's just making me question everything I do and why I even bother. Worship Laurie Halse Anderson!



What I'm Writing:

I've realised that I don't talk much about what I write--I mean, not in a way where I actually say anything about what the story is like or what it's called (like I ever have a title while I'm writing it) or anything at all interesting. Sure, I tell you how far from/close to the end I am, and where I am on the scale of loving to hating it that week, but that's about it. And right now I'm at the beginning of a first draft, still in that stage where I feel optimistic, like I love writing this story, like this is going to be fun! (Oh, child. You know you hate drafting! Why do you do these things to yourself?) But yes, I'm in that stage where everything is sunshine and rainbows, and I thought that this week I would share a little. So here are Seven Things About This WIP:
1. It is about searching and yearning, taking leaps of faith.
2. It is about overcoming fear, and anger, and sadness.
3. It is about those friends you have who you can be so pissed at that you think you might never speak to them again, except then you see something so stupid and funny and you have to tell them, so you do, and everything's back to normal again.
4. Britt is a neurotic overachiever who burns in the sun; Nicole likes Emily Dickinson and high, high heels; Annabelle likes surfing, and Nicole; Tristan is perpetually late but too earnest to ever be truly mad at.
5. They like traditions (last-night-of-summer bonfires, first-morning-of-school pancakes).
6. There used to be five of them.
7. Do not talk to them about formal dresses, college applications, or motel rooms that have probably housed serial killers. Just…don't.
It is also hugely inspired by this music video--like, I saw it on TV one day and said, "I want to write the story of that video." So, here we are. (Aaaaand you can't watch the video here. Oh restricted playback, get outta here.)




What Inspires Me Right Now:

Secret Pinterest boards and WIP playlists. Everyone does the secret Pinterest boards for their stories, right? I feel like they were invented for us writers who need visual inspiration but want no-one ever in the world to ever know what we might be writing about at any second. Neurotic? Yes, but we wouldn't be writers if we weren't.

What Else I've Been Up To:

Milly, baby cat, had to go to the vet on Monday. Upon collecting her the vet said, "No jumping, not too much running around--if she wants to go on the sofa, pick her up and put her there." Of course, I said, I understand.



Milly, however, is an insane creature and started climbing the curtains about half an hour after we came home. Eh.

Also:



Okay, I have this slight obsession with Seattle. I mean, check my tumblr. I cannot explain this obsession: perhaps it has something to do with rain and grunge and a misled belief that the Seattle in my mind is the fictionalised Seattle of twenty years ago. (I used to be obsessed with New York. Yeah, I'm a small town girl with city dreams. I can't help it.) Anyways, the Seahawks are one of the two NFL teams that I am a fair-weather fan of (can anyone guess the other one? It rhymes with Shmiants) and this fair-weather small town gal is mighty tickled that they won the Superbowl. Let's do it again next year!

xoxo

17 comments:

  1. Enjoy the sunshine and rainbows stage for it is magical and wonderful :D

    Have a great week. Hope the cat's feeling better soon ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that list you made about your WIP (I'm currently reading THE PIPER'S SON and your list made me think of it: great group of friends with different characters and despite everything stick together).
    Hope your kitty feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seahawks! YAY! I grew up just outside Seattle and it really is an awesome city. There's so much to do there, and the summer months are absolutely beautiful. Now, more importantly, your WiP. Can I tell you that if I came across a book with your numbered list on its back in a bookstore, I would snatch it up in a second? Seriously. "There used to be five of them." So haunting and intriguing. Also! Secret Pinterest boards are the BEST. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tour WIP list! I might just do that to improve scenes in my WIP and help me write queries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY right now, too! Loving it!!! Can the entire world just bow down to LHA for a minute? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 6 on your list, and the fact that it was number 6, just jumped off the page and nearly stopped my heart. Your list is fantastic and gives me a feeling for the story even with only this little bit of information. Sounds like a good one. I hope you enjoy drafting it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I think I pin more things to my secret pinterest boards than my regular boards. And not just for writing. ;)

    Love your list of seven things about your story! What a great idea!

    Hope your week is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't used Pinterest for my writing all that much; it seems like such a likely source, but I've used it more for recipes, decorating, and fashion than books. I have a couple not-very-full boards for stories, so I'd like to use them more.

    Your poor kitty...It's always funny when vets give instructions about not having pets exert too much energy back home while recuperating. As if you can control that. We kept our kitten confined to a bathroom when he was recovering--bed, litter, food all in one room. The second he was let out he tore through the house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie Halse Anderson is such an incredible writer! I'm not on Pinterest, but I hear it's great for sorting out book ideas and inspirations. But I'm afraid to sign up because I know it'll take over my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LHA is an amazing author. I haven't picked that book up yet but I should.
    Your WIP sounds awesome! I don't talk much about mine either when they're still in WIP stage. It's like I need to cling to their sacredness or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your seven things definitely peaked my interested. Write, write, write. Because I want to read that book when you are done with it. :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow that video clip is amazing. i can see why you want to write the story :) I really want to read it, so write away. THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY looks like awesome read. - added to my TBR list.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your WIP sounds awesome! I'm also weird about talking about my stories publicly until they're finished, but you've inspired me to share a similar list for my new WIP sometime soon. I've started a playlist for it, but haven't started a secret Pinterest board yet. I know what's on my To Do list this weekend! :)

    I'm excited to read THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY. Laurie Halse Anderson is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love love love the description of your WIP because I love stories about female friendships. And, um, 'there used to be five of them.' ? Intrigued... Hope you'll share more. Please? Yes, pinterest is a secret place for me too : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always post such awesome videos! I love this one. I totally have a girl crush now, too. Skateboarding in a dress? Road-tripping and camping with your girls? Yesss! Love. :) Also, your WIP sounds DELICIOUS! For reals. I <3 number three. It's so perfect. :)

    I lived in Seattle for about 6 years, maybe 7 (trying to do the math...ha) and I looooved it. The city is broken up into neighborhoods that feel like little communities with their own personalities. The weather in the winter can be rough, but since you live in the UK, maybe you're down with that. :) It is a BIG city, and I love living in a small town now, but I miss all the excitement, MUSIC, amazing coffee, farmer's markets, parks, water, and trees - oh, the trees. :) Anyhow, I hope you get to see it someday, and if you DO go, let me know so I can send you to my fav spots!

    I hope your kitty gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the details from your WiP. Sounds fantastic! :-) I especially liked the details in #5 and #7. So cool. And you are so right about the secret inspiration Pinterest boards. They are THE best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the title THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY too. It's just a perfect title.
    I'm so glad you decided to share your list, you WIP sounds so good. I find it very hard to talk about my stories too. The most I've shared is a love list. And yes I have secret Pinterest boards too :D
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete