Wednesday, 15 January 2014

What's Up Wednesday, OCD Edition

{click here for a full list of participants!}

What I'm Reading:

After reading THE AFTER GIRLS (which I liked but didn't fall head-over-heels in love with), I reread an old favourite: PROM by Laurie Halse Anderson. I'm pretty sure I've written about it on this here blog before, but seriously, if you haven't read it? DO IT. The voice in this book is insane, and it's just a fun, awesome story. My current read is OCD LOVE STORY by Corey Ann Haydu. I already love Bea and I love the voice of this story. (I effing love good voice so much!) Let's hope the rest of the book lives up to my expectations!



What I'm Writing:

The one problem with physically editing your work, as in putting pen to paper, is that at the end of it all you have to transfer it back to your computer. Which is time-consuming and annoying and yeah I'm putting it off so hard.

You know what is a really excellent way to put off working on an MS? Starting a new MS. I'm going to try to not hate drafting this time around, because I really do hate drafting but sometimes I think my hatred of it makes it worse than it really is. (Does that make sense?) And this is a fun* story, so I want to make writing it fun.

*As fun as a story involving suicide and missing girls can be. But there's pretty dresses too, and did I mention surfing?

What Inspires Me Right Now:

I'm reading/buying/lusting after so many books, and there is really is nothing like a good story to make you want to be a better writer. So my inspiration this week is words and the wonderful people that make them so good.

What Else I've Been Up To:

Reader, I ran again. Once. I don't know, it's just not my jam. I'd rather take another dance class or go swimming. You can't jazz hands while you run. (I guess you could, actually. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.)

Another thing that I have taken up lately is cross-stitching! Remember that? With the big plastic square "fabric" and needles that poked holes in all your fingers? Well, I have proper fabric (aida) now, and some rad eighties mean-girl-flicks pieces in progress. It's so very.

xoxo

17 comments:

  1. Have fun cross-stitching. I am so rubbish at all types of handycraft I stay away ^^; Childhood scaring from being a member of the Brownies, I think...

    Reading amazing writers is definitely inspirational. It always makes me want to jump up and immediately get to work :D

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for running! I love to run, but I'm taking this month off for health stuff, and I really miss it. Maybe you'll fall in love with it too if you keep it up? Or, just go back to dancing. I've recently come to the personal realization that exercise should be fun, not torture. :-) I read OCD LOVE STORY a few months ago and thought it was fantastic. Yes, Bea is awesome, and yes, the voice in that story is enviable. Hope you love it through the end, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love cross-stitching. I haven't done it years, but something like that could be fun to take up again. Though, I suppose I should finish the quilt and the sweater I'm knitting. Too many projects! I hear you on the running thing. If I was coordinated enough, I think I'd prefer dancing, too. You're so right about the words of others being inspirational. I feel that way as well. Makes me want to write *really* good stories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Prom is the one LHA book that I haven't read. Why is that? (I have no clue, I'll have to get on that at once.)
    I'm not into running either. I walk (very fast I might add) on my treadmill and the only thing that keeps me doing it day after day is that I watch TV shows on my iPad while I do it. If it weren't for great TV, I'd probably never get my butt on that treadmill. Like you, I'd much rather take a dance class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been embroidering and cross-stitching for over 20 years. I've done designs of animals, Buddha, flowers, all sorts of things. Right now I'm working on two kittens among knitting needles and balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved OCD LOVE STORY, I hope you do too. I agree voice is uber important, and both Laurie and Corey do it beautifully. LHA is pretty much my go to example of "good voice", even when she writes about horrible topics that are way less cheerful then prom, she writes them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lust after one too many books, I'd be broke constantly if I bought as many as I want. I have yet to check out OCD Love Story, but only because i'm afraid of all the hype and being let down. And I totally get the transferring physical edits to the computer, it's time consuming, but such a relief when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words = the best inspiration ;)
    When I'm on the treadmill or elliptical, I kinda dance lol I'm a former ballerina and I just can't NOT dance, you know? So yeah, I dance on the treadmill or elliptical. But my thing is Zumba now ;)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find reading to be very inspiring too! Having a crafty hobby is always nice. Mine is crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really liking this "jazz hand while running" idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I edit my work by hand (when I'm at the copy editing stage) too. It is so annoying to transfer all that back to the computer, but I think it's worth it. I catch so many more errors that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get what you mean about building something up in your head so that it seems like it's worse than it is. I think I'm doing a little of that right now, which is why I'm so stressed out. Augh. BUT yay for a new MS! And yes, really good writing is at once depressing (I should just give up!) and super inspiring. :)

    Also, since you mention voice books, have you read April Tucholke's BETWEEN THE DEVIL & THE DEEP BLUE SEA? The settings are atmospheric, and the MC has a great voice. I still need to read OCD Love Story. It's been on my TBR forever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been trying to figure out what Laurie Halse Anderson book to read next. After reading your post it might have to be Prom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OCD Love Story is in my TBR pile. I can't wait to read it. I've heard good things. My red pen is almost empty. I'm trying to do a little adding the corrections in Word a little at a time so I don't have to do all of it at once. Good luck with your WIP. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to write everything long hand and type it up. In the end I got so fed up with having to transcribe everything onto the computer, I started writing/editing on the computer. There is something about the pen-and-paper experience, and actually writing thoughts on paper, and scratching things out with a big red pen... but there are only so many hours in the day, and so many stories to write. I might make notes on paper, but I now do all my drafting and editing electronically.

    All the best with your writing this week, Rebecca! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a copy of OCD LOVE STORY and can't wait to read it. Good luck inputting those changes when you get around to it. You should blast some fun music to help pass the time. :) And have fun with your new WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm excited to hear what you think of OCD LOVE STORY. It's on my TBR list right now!

    And I'm in the same reading/buying/lusting phase right now. All I want in life is a trip to B&N but it's totally not justifiable because I have TONS of books on my shelf to read. :p

    ReplyDelete