Wednesday, 29 January 2014

What's Up Wednesday, Glass Case of Emotion Edition

{click here for a full list of participants!}

What I'm Reading:

Y'all, I finished OCD LOVE STORY and I may have had a slight breakdown towards the end, so you know it was good. Then I carried on filling in my Sara Zarr blanks and read SWEETHEARTS which also gave me a slight emotional breakdown. What can I say? I don't cry over tons of books but when I get weepy, I get hella weepy.



Last weekend I also read UNTEACHABLE by Leah Raeder, which is kind of NA but also kind of YA but also kind of adult romance? I don't know. It was steamy hot and also beautifully written--my main beef with it was the ending, but it wasn't enough to completely put me off the story. Now I'm reading THE REECE MALCOLM LIST by Amy Spalding, which is an excellent read if you're into belting show tunes in your spare time. Which, of course, I'm not. Nope. I don't sing all the parts of Montage from A Chorus Line in my car, not at all.


What I'm Writing:

I finally, finally finished transferring all my edits from paper to computer, and I've put that story aside for a little while so I can just have some distance and a clearer vision when I eventually return to it. In the meantime, I'm drafting this new WIP in fits and starts--fits of 500 words at a time, of course. Slow and steady!


What Inspires Me Right Now:

Does anyone remember a video I put in this section a while back, of ballet dancers from The Australian Ballet talking about their pointe shoes? I recently discovered another video from them, this time talking about how they get into character for a performance. Again, it's a beautiful video, and I could watch it over and over again.



What Else I've Been Up To:

Watching Sons of Anarchy. Good lord, that show. I definitely recommend getting into it (the first four seasons are on Netflix here), especially if you're a fan of Weeds/Breaking Bad/anything like that. The characters are key for me--when I see them doing stupid things I just want to shake them, but I love them at the same time. (Don't ask me to pick a favourite!)

What's up with you?

xoxo




10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're reading up a storm! And writing too. Busy busy. 500 words at a time, nice and steady, sounds like a very good pace to me! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been up and down on Sons of Anarchy; it's been in our Netflix list for ages. My husband and I are going through the first season of Hannibal (on DVD) and it's disturbingly inventive. I'm really surpised it ended up on network TV because it's much more suited for cable. Shades of Dexter but less "here's the gang at Miami PD!" so ... darker.

    I loved "Sweethearts" and have read almost all of Zarr's books. Her spare writing is inspiring; it's just the style I aspire to and hope I can pull off someday.

    I read an interesting YA/NA/romance called "Game. Set. Match." that was really cute and had more going on besides the "steamy" romance (most of those type of NA's I have not been able to get through more than 20 pages).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love new WiPs! Slow and steady is definitely the way to go. I've sort of found myself in the planning/brainstorming/researching stage of a new WiP, and I can't wait until I can finally get writing it. Stepping back from another story before tackling revisions is always a good idea. I hope you find lots to love about it when you return. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck editing! And I hope the new WiP continues smoothly. It all sounds very exciting :D Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, we have such similar taste in books. I second pretty much everything you said in your "What I'm Reading" section. I adore SWEETHEARTS, and UNTEACHABLE was just a total cluster, but I was smitten. Best of luck with your newest writing project. I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm a slow and steady writer too. I need that time to mull things over and when I rush too much, I write crap. That's a very cool cover on UNTEACHABLE. I love the bold color schemes on a lot of covers this year. I hope your new WIP continues to unfold nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the WIP! Sounds like you know what works for you :)

    Oh goodness, Sons of Anarchy. I tried it, but then gave up because I'm not actually a fan of torturing myself lol. Game of Thrones gives me enough stress as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome that you're reading two of my most-beloved books. Did you see Leah Raeder's contest where people read steamy passages from UNTEACHABLE? It changed my life. http://www.leahraeder.com/2014/01/23/unteachable-the-reading-the-results/.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Sara Zarr. SWEETHEARTS was so good! I still need to read a couple of her books but I love her writing. I haven't read OCD LOVE STORY but I have a copy and I'm excited to read it very soon. :)

    Congrats on finishing transferring your edits, and have fun with your new WIP! I'm also a slow and steady writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slow and stead is a lot better than nothing at all. Good luck sticking with your new WIP, and finishing your revisions on your old.

    Also, OCD LOVE STORY was one of the best books I read last year. Loved it! It's been a while since I've read SWEETHEARTS, but in general, Sara Zarr is all around awesome. My favorite of her books is probably HOW TO SAVE A LIFE.

    ReplyDelete