Wednesday, 30 October 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Query Exhaustion Edition

{click here for a full list of participants!}
What I'm Reading:

Like everyone else in the (YA) world, I read ALLEGIANT over the weekend. More thoughts to come since it's our YA Book Club pick for November (join us!) but I'll just say that although the book as a whole wasn't completely perfect for me, I definitely found the ending very satisfying.



Now I'm reading FAULT LINE by the wonderful Christa Desir which I'm fully prepared to weep/rage over.

What I'm Writing:

I have eleven (and a half) scenes left to write. However, every scene I think is going to be short turns out not to be, and I keep adding scenes all over the place, so who knows? Maybe I'll be done by Christmas!

Querying-wise...man, I'm kind of burned out right now. I got two rejections on my birthday (ouch, right?!) and I'm feeling very much in need of some good news right now. Nothing big necessarily (although I wouldn't turn down some big good news--hint, hint, agents), but a little something to tell me that yes, I am on the right path, I should keep going, and one day it will happen for me. I probably don't need to tell any of you this, but when you see good things happening to other people, it can sometimes be hard to remember that 1. we're all taking different paths and 2. we have no idea what they went through before the good things finally started happening for them. Actually, it's probably good to imagine that at one point, they were all feeling as burned out and weary as I am right now, because look where they are now! One day that could be me with the six-figure three-book deal* and movie rights optioned**!

So, on I go. (And anyone that's feeling the same way as me right now: keep going.)

What Inspires Me Right Now:

This song by Banks is definitely going to soundtrack a story one day.



What Else I've Been Up To:

Like I mentioned, it was my birthday this week, and I turned 22. Which feels weird because in my head I'm either forty (I get a lot of enjoyment from homeware and I refer to teenagers as "youths") or sixteen (I really like glitter and I don't understand taxes). Speaking of homeware, I got a lot a baking-related presents: stackable three-tier cooling rack (ooh), rainbow measuring spoons (aah), a heart-shaped cake tin...looks like I'll be doing some baking soon!



Until next time,

xoxo


*yeah, that's never going to happen.
**probably not going to happen either.

22 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday!!! I fluctuate from feelings of fourteen to seventy so I hear ya.

    Also, your section on the querying exhaustion? SO inspiring. I am at the same place, dude. SAME PLACE. I just keep going.

    Good luck with finishing the draft!!! I think finishing by Christmas is most doable. Go YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! Yup, nothing much else to do but keep on truckin'! I'm rooting for both of us! xo

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about your birthday rejections. I'm sorry querying has been a bummer so far. But you're right - keep going. You just gotta keep going. I'm right there with you these days. Just remember - you are on the right path (which is, btw, a huge theme in WFTS. Huh).

    Hang in there! You'll get your good news! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I think we all can relate to this (sadly!) But I hope you're right and good news is coming my (our) way :)

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! I was born age seventy so I get the age confusion feelings. :)

    Such a smart quote about paths to publication. Every single writer has the exhaustion at some point in the process--for the lucky-seeming ones, we just didn't hear about it. Hang in there, and I hope good news makes its way to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, no-one wants to shout their disappointments from the rooftops, do they? Which is a shame, because right now I could do with hearing some war stories! Fingers crossed for some good news soon :)

      Delete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    I'm sorry that you didn't get some good news on your birthday. It seems like that would be the perfect time for good news. Let me just say though, that one of my writer friends had the year from hell this year. Everything that could go wrong did. (with writing and life) She was just where you are mentally and wondering why she was even putting herself through this...when the Amazingness started to rain down like you wouldn't believe.

    I guess what I'm saying is Stick With It. "You're good enough. You're smart enough. And gosh darn it, people like you." -best SNL quote EVER. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE that quote! Thanks, Kris :) Well, aside from the rejections, my birthday was good so I'm going to focus on that instead!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! I know how it feels to be query-weary. I've been at it for three years so far and gosh, it can be exhausting and discouraging. But also, don't give up! It will happen eventually, for both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel :) Exhausting, yes. Discouraging, definitely. But WE CAN DO IT!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday!
    Oh, loved that song! Going to amazon and buying it right now ;)
    In this career, our dreams are what keep us going - so dream about your 3 book deal and movie deal - you never know, it may happen *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, and sorry to hear about your rejections! I turned 22 a month ago and it was pretty disappointing, too - I totally get the half-teenaged, half-middle-aged perspective! :P Keep querying, and keep dreaming! You'll get there, and it'll be amazing when it does happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! I'm in my mid-30s and still don't understand taxes.

    The last time I queried, I avoided my email all day on my birthday b/c I didn't want to see any rejections. It's easy to get burned out by the process, but don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, Rebecca! Sorry about those rejections, and bummer on the timing, but I'm hoping for better news in your near future. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

    I had very similar feelings about ALLEGIANT. Overall, I thought it was very well done and a great conclusion to the series, but it wasn't *perfect* for me. Curious to hear your thoughts on FAULT LINE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I feel you about the rejections. But I love that you're being smart about it and not letting it keep you down. I got THREE rejections in a single day, and I felt so defeated. The very next day, my now-agent emailed to offer me representation. So definitely don't lose hope b/c it can and will happen! <3

    I can't wait to read Fault Line. I'm already hearing amazing things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too bad about the rejections, especially on your birthday...but you have a great point about not comparing yourself to others' successes. Everyone gets rejected at some point.

    11 more scenes! That's not a lot at all, is it? (Relatively speaking, of course...) Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday!! And good luck with those queries. It's really so important to remember that everyone had to go through that stage once. Actually, sometimes when I'm feeling especially hopeless I go learn about the struggles of my favorite authors. It's often scary but always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday!!! I'm sorry about those rejections. I hope you hear good news soon!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, querying. I feel you on the rejections. So far I've managed not to let them get me down too much, because I just let myself feel bummed for a minute, and then I move on. I'm doing the masochistic thing and saving the emails, because I figure it's at least a sign I'm trying. I hope you get some good news soon!

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday. Don't let the rejections get you down. Before you know it you'll be celebrating the dream come true deal. I love the music video you've put up. I've not heard that song before. Wishing you a great week, keep smiling things have a way of working themselves out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday!!

    Take a break from querying if you need one. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it helps to give it a little space, and then hopefully when you jump back in, you'll be more excited about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, happy birthday!!!

    I totally know how you feel about querying. It is tough but you absolutely should keep going! Fingers crossed you hear some good news soon.

    ReplyDelete