Wednesday, 2 October 2013

What's Up Wednesday: It's October!

{click here for a full list of participants!}


What I'm Reading:

This weekend I finished THE SEA OF TRANQUILITY by Katja Millay. I wept. And then I gave up on writing (for an hour or two). This has definitely earned a place on my favourites list: dark, intense, emotional, beautifully written...I could go on and on. Oh, and Nastya? Josh, Drew? All such vivid and layered characters, flawed and fucked up and okay I really will stop now.



Now I'm about a hundred pages into OUT OF THE EASY by Ruta Sepetys, which I'm finding really different to BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY but enjoying just as much.

What I'm Writing:

When will this draft/ ever end /seriously it's been like/ a month or ten/ writing is hard/ plots are dumb/writing is hard wait did I already say that

I am nearing the end. I can feel it. The drama is coming. (Well, as dramatic as my stories get.) I would like nothing more than to give myself a break right now, but I'm so close to finishing and so on a roll with knowing what I'm writing that I don't want to stop. Hopefully it won't be too much longer!

What Inspires Me Right Now:

Y'all remember JoJo? Of "Leave (Get Out)" and "Too Little, Too Late" fame? You're probably thinking, "Yes, Becky, I remember her, but she disappeared years ago...so why exactly are you talking about her?"

Yes, I follow JoJo on IG, and what?


I'm a big fan of JoJo's and I've been listening to her latest mixtape a ton this last week. You see, JoJo still puts out music, but she has to do it on her own and for free, because her label won't put out any music from her. They also won't release her from her contract. You read that right: her label won't release any music by her, but they won't let her go so that someone else can. And this has been going on for years.

But JoJo does not give up: she makes music, releases mix tapes, plays live, and keeps on going. I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty inspiring.



What Else I've Been Up To:

Mostly, I've been car shopping. My car just about passed its MOT with a long-ass list of advisories which would cost more to fix than I paid for the car, so I decided to upgrade. And when I say upgrade, I mean that my new car has a radio that doesn't pop out, and a blippidy thing to lock it. Whee! I'm going to pick it up on Friday. Whee again!

Also, now that Breaking Bad is over it seems like the perfect time for me to start watching it again. Right? Only 51 episodes to go!

Also, it's October which is my favourite month because 1. Autumn and 2. birthday! Yes, it's my birthday at the end of the month which means I'm allowed to start freaking out about all the things I said I'd do since my last birthday but haven't yet. Yikes.

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new car! That's very exciting. :-) October sounds like a great month for you what with the car, your birthday, and the arrival of autumn. (I love October like crazy!) As for JoJo, I had no idea that was happening to her. I can't believe they would keep her locked into a contract but not actually put out her music. That is inspiring that she keeps plugging away anyway. Speaking of plugging away, you're doing awesome with your WIP! You can totally finish that bad boy (bad girl?)! Have a wonderful week all around! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going with you WIP. I know what it's like to get to that point. It seems like the first 50% flies onto the page the next 25% slows to a snails pace and the last 25% is like pulling teeth...at least to me. Get to the end then the fun part starts...editing. Good luck and keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a new car! That's super exciting :D Mine's 13 years old and has a tape deck but I love it and as long as it continues passing its MOTs, I'll keep driving her ^_^

    I *do* remember JoJo. What a horrible contract for her to be stuck in. You're right, that is inspiring.

    And it's your birthday month. Exciting! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on your new car, new cars are awesome. I didn't get a new car recently but I did get a new scooter and that was just as awesome in my eyes. :)
    I sadly don't remember Jo Jo, but I will try and find out a bit more about her now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoJo's story IS inspiring! And YOU WILL GET THIS STORY FINISHED!!! I have faith in you! It is hard sometimes, but I'm so glad you're close to finishing!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just listening to JoJo's "Leave" the other day. Love that song! I had no idea about the awfulness of her contract.

    Yay to your car upgrade!

    Good luck to finishing your draft! I'm in the race, too and hoping the finish line pops up before the month is over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to watch Breaking Bad. I never saw it when it was on TV. But I guess I would like to watch it now. Congrats on your new car. That's so crazy about JoJo and her horrible record label. Good luck with your WIP. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck finishing your draft! That's so exciting that you're almost done. And wow - I'm so impressed with JoJo. That would be so challenging to be in her position, and I love that she's putting out her music for free. LOVE. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you're so excited for the blippity aspect of your new car. When I bought my car (ten years old this year...hitting that costs money to keep running phase, ugh) I was only particular about one thing: cup holders. The ones in my ancient car were crap and never actually held my cups.

    Sometimes, it's the little things in life, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so behind on blog reading but I had to chime and say, October is my birthday month too (!) and I also had a similar experience with The Sea of Tranquility. So absorbed in that emotional read. I felt as if I knew the characters intimately.

    ReplyDelete