Wednesday, 31 July 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Ready. Set. Write! #8

{click here for a full list of participants!}


What I'm Reading: 

This week I read A.S. King's ASK THE PASSENGERS and, oh...just beautiful. I absolutely adore magical realism and Astrid was a wonderful main character to be with. I highly, highly recommend. SHADOW AND BONE by Leigh Bardugo is now working its way into my heart--I'm not super into fantasy (is it fantasy?) but I'm loving this one.

What I'm Writing: 

This week brought me another rejection and another request! Swings and roundabouts :)



I apologise for how boring my goals have been throughout this whole thing, but you know me, I'm a very methodical and boring writer. I just go start to finish, 500 words a day, until the thing is done.

However, this week I've been having to fight the urge to check my total wordcount. (Yes, that means what you think it does--I have no idea how many words I've actually written. It's wonderfully freeing.) I don't want to know, but I'm itching to check it just for curiosity's sake. So my goal for this week is:

Don't check the word count!

What Inspires Me Right Now:

I love dance, and I love how the internet lets me discover all these amazing choreographers creating incredible pieces. Kyle Hanagami is one of my favourites, and I'm really into his latest:



What Else I've Been Up To:

My friend Charlotte decided to introduce us to a game called Settlers of Catan. Anyone familiar with it? I was not, before yesterday. Now it is my third-favourite board game. (First fave: Cranium! Second fave: Scotland Yard!) We took it kind of ridiculously seriously once we got our heads around the rules. I came second, but I feel pretty good about the next time we play. Oh, aren't we such wild and crazy twentysomethings?!


So that's me! I'm looking forward to the next week, because it's our big annual family barbecue on Saturday, in which everyone decamps from London and heads out to our middle-of-nowhere town. (Because my parents hate me and moved from London before I was born so I had to grow up in sodding Swindon.) (Hahaha my petulant teenage self just reared her head!) Plus, I've got a week and a bit off work: I can't wait to laze around, watching Teen Wolf (which I haven't done for weeks now), playing Xbox (which I can't even remember the last time I touched) and maybe rereading some favourite books. I'll probably take a little break from writing, too--if I can do it without feeling too guilty!

See you next week for more updates!

xoxo



20 comments:

  1. I have heard of Settlers, but never played it. A radio station in my area was talking about it awhile back, so I looked it up and figured I'd just be confused by it :) It does seem like a game my older bro would like, though, so I smell present time!

    I'm always impressed by people who can dance because I have pretty much zero rhythm.

    Enjoy your family BBQ this weekend (and don't check the word count!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally confusing, but fun when you start understanding what's happening! Totally present time :)

      Delete
  2. I give you major credit for not checking your word count. I'm OBSESSIVE about it. :p

    And I love Ask the Passengers!!! It was one of the first books I read this summer. Isn't Astrid just incredible? So real, so kind, and not one for melodrama. Such a good book! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone both ways word count-wise...I've been obsessed before, like spreadsheet-making obsessed, but I'm managing not to go there this time!

      Yes, everything you said about Astrid is so true--it was so nice to read about a girl totally invested in finding out about herself and not giving into the melodrama happening around her. So good :)

      Delete
  3. I love your goal for the week! And yay for those requests!

    Also, must get my hands on ASK THE PASSENGERS. I've heard so many good things!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! Yes, it's a must read--I think you'd love it, too :)

      Delete
  4. I love settlers. I used to play it all the time with my old roommate, but it's probably been five years since I last pulled it out of the game closet. Maybe I'll have to have a game night sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Game night sounds fun :) Especially a Settlers game night!

      Delete
  5. I love Settlers! I was first introduced to it in Germany where it's called Die Siedler von Catan. (I actually still have my German copies of it as well as an English version.) You like board games? Have you ever played Ticket to Ride??? If you want/need another board game addiction... So much fun! I have three versions of it: the original one set in the US, the Europe one, and the Nordic Countries one.

    Leigh Bardugo's books are definitely fantasy. But they're fun fantasy, you know? If you like these ones, you might also like (love?) THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas. It's one of my favourites. As for your writing, I love your goal for the week! I just did a word count tally the other day, so I'm kind of guilty. I think a daily goal of 500 words is perfect. That's what I've mostly been doing too. Keep it up, Rebecca! You're doing so well! And have a great week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never played Ticket to Ride, but I'm totally going to check it out! I do love board games...it's just hard to keep my competitive side under control when I play ;)

      I've heard tons about THRONE OF GLASS, and I definitely loved S&B so it sounds like I'd enjoy that one too--thanks for the rec, Jaime!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've had a bunch of fun, I hope the family gathering is a good time!
    I've only read excerpts of Shadow and Bone however I LOVE it and that's definitely high-up on the list to read (I'm a HUGE fantasy nerd).

    I love that you're not looking at your word count, that's really good. My big goal has been to just haven fun and when I told myself that and let go I was able to write over 3,000 words in record time so hey, it works :) Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think taking the pressure off works wonders--I've definitely been feeling more relaxed about what I'm doing, even if I'm not putting down as many words as in the past. That's worth it for me, though :)

      Delete
  7. Oooh, that game looks awesome! My brother introduced me to Archipelago and it's AWESOME!

    Another request? Fantastic! Good luck to you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archipelago? Definitely adding that to the list! And thanks :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the request. Good luck. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lord Settlers of Catan! We played this at Christmas and it got intense!!!! I have sworn never to play again at least not with my SIL :)

    I am exactly the same 500 words a day and keep going forward. Boring but it gets the job done (well I hope it will!) I also don't know my word count and you're right it's very freeing.

    Congratulations in the request, I hope next week brings you more b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we used to play Cranium at Christmas but we're the same and things get a little bit too heated!

      Yeah, you're so right--it's boring, but it gets us there! Thanks :)

      Delete
  10. The thing gets done, right? So how you get there really doesn't matter. Progress is progress--good for you, Becky! :D

    I hope you feel confident enough about where you think your word count is (without actually checking it) to relax at the family barbecue, and just enjoy yourself. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, who cares whether the story takes six days or six months or six years to draft? As long as it gets done!

      Delete