Wednesday, 24 July 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Ready. Set. Write! #7

{Click here for a full list of participants!}
What I'm Reading:

A trip to Waterstones plus an Amazon order meant a few lovely new books for me last week. I got THE WESTING GAME, which is this month's YA Book Club pick (click here if you want to know more about that) and which I absolutely...well, you'll have to wait for my Book Club post to find out! I also read Sarah Dessen's latest, THE MOON AND MORE, this week. I am a huge Sarah Dessen fan; DREAMLAND is one of my favourites, and I always pick up her new ones. However, as much as I love her, I didn't completely love this book. The writing was great as usual, but something was missing for me--I think her older books feel much heavier and darker, and while I love fluffy and lighthearted too, I just miss those stories she created. Maybe I just relate to Remy and Caitlin more than Auden and Emaline, I don't know. Moving on...ASK THE PASSENGERS by A.S. King is my next read, and I feel like it's going to be excellent.

What I'm Writing:

An update on my adventures in querying: I got a full request! Yay! So now I've had my first rejection(s) and my first request and I can dial down the obsessing just a bit. Fingers crossed that this agent likes my MS!



I'm still hitting my 500-words-a-day target, and I'm right about to start an exciting scene. I don't know about anyone else, but when I get an idea I always start with the characters and a couple of specific things I want to happen. Those things aren't always important in a plot-specific way; more often they're just cute/funny/important-to-me moments that I look forward to writing. So this week's writing is going to be very, very good, no matter how many words I get out :)

What Inspires Me Right Now:



{By Natasha Kline}

I hope I can write a book like that for someone someday.

What Else I've Been Up To:

After five years, my Macbook and I have parted ways. Yes, we've had a beautiful time together, but it was just time for her to go to the great Apple store in the sky. I am now the proud owner of a Macbook Air, which has the most beautifully bright screen and like a million hours of battery life and which also (!) cost about twice as much as my car. But look, so pretty!

{Blogception}

I hope everyone's enjoying the sun and thunderstorms and whatever crazy weather's happening in your part of the world. And I wish everybody a good writing/querying/life week!

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. I've been having the same problem with THE MOON AND MORE, I love Sarah Dessen, she is one of my favourite authors, but I'm just not clicking with TMAM atm, which is a shame.
    Well done on the full request! That is amazing news, I'm gonna keep all my fingers crossed for you!
    And that picture, oh my god that is so true. I've only read a handful of books that have stuck with me like that and I would love to write a book like them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your full request! And hope you enjoy the rest of the books. Lots of people list THE WESTING GAME as a favorite, so it's a good one to read. I didn't love it personally, but I'm glad I read it. :-) Have a great week with lots of words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to comment on in this post! I read THE MOON AND MORE recently, and while I enjoyed it, I wouldn't say I loved it. I liked LOCK & KEY so much more. There are other books of hers that I definitely need to check out, so I'm excited about that. And I still need to read the copy of THE WESTING GAME that I borrowed from the library. Time is running out!

    CONGRATS on the full request!!! Good for you, Rebecca! I'll keep my fingers crossed that this agent loves it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *saluting your dead computer* RIP little macbook. RIP.

    Congrats on the request! That's an exciting time--now make yourself so busy you don't think about it again, eh? Keep querying. Get your stuff out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE FULL REQUEST! How exciiiiiting!!!! :D

    Thanks for sharing the art. It's so true.

    May your Macbook rest in peace in Silicon Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huge congratulations on the full request. That is just brilliant!

    I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan too, The Truth About Forever is my absolute favourite. This latest was good, but not one of my favourites. I do adore the way she writes.

    Loved the drawing you posted in the Inspiration part. I am also JEALOUS of your Mac Book air - enjoy!

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you took a photo of your blog on your new laptop. :) That totally made me smile. And yes, it looks amazing.

    And the drawing - LOOOOVE. For me, that's such a good reminder to focus on what really matters (i.e. writing great books versus ... all the other stuff that goes with publishing). Thanks for sharing it.

    And OMG!!!! A FULL REQUEST!!! Wooot! Congratulations, Rebecca!!!! That is super, super awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your FULL request. That little drawing is perfection. Have fun writing your candy bar scene this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATS on the request!!! That's awesome!

    And I'm really intrigued by ASK THE PASSENGERS. It's been on the TBR for a while.

    And love the drawing! I want to write a book like that too. :)

    ReplyDelete