Wednesday, 17 July 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Ready. Set. Write! #6

This week's What's Up Wednesday is brought to you by a slowly melting girl. My tan lines are out of control. And not in a good way.

{Click here for a full list of participants!}

What I'm Reading:

I finished Kirsten Hubbard's LIKE MANDARIN, which I really enjoyed. Totally different to WANDERLOVE in setting and characters, but with a similar theme of a girl trying to find herself. I recommend :) Over the weekend I read ALL WE KNOW OF LOVE by Nora Raleigh Baskin. I picked this up at the library/work because I liked the blurb, and it was an okay read, but nothing world-rocking. Now I'm reading THE OUTSIDERS, because I figured it's a classic and I probably should!

What I'm Writing:

So, I didn't get into Christmas in July, but it was fun just to enter my first ever competition :) And confetti is in order for our fearless YA Book Club leader Tracey Neithercott and fabulous RSW co-host Alison Miller, because they both are on the winner's list! CONFETTI EXPLOSION! I can't wait to cheer you ladies on :) And let's throw some more confetti for WUW co-creator Erin Funk who got an honourable mention--WOOHOO!


I also sent out a few queries the other day (and I've already received one rejection, which I'm actually thankful for--fast agents are my favourite agents! Anything that minimises the waiting and the anxiety is good in my book!) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But I've done this before so I know how it all goes. (i.e. how much waaaaaiiiiiting goes on!) So while I'm waiting I shall be:
  • Polishing up my synopsis (so that I can...)
  • Query some more agents
  • And rewriting, rewriting, rewriting. I'm really enjoying this story right now, even though I've had a couple of difficult writing days recently--you know, when every word is a fight and you start bribing yourself just to get each sentence out. I feel like all the revisions I've been through with the MS I'm querying has taught me so much, and this version of this particular story is about a hundred times better and more focused than the first version. Which is excellent!
What Inspires Me Right Now:

This tumblr and this video which I've been watching since last year:


I'm thinking of you, Trayvon.

What Else I've Been Up To:

On Saturday it was my friend Heather's 21st birthday, so we went out for cocktails and dancing. PSA: don't go out when the country is in the middle of a heatwave, because you will feel like you're sweating to death, and you will end up going home super early to eat ice lollies and pizza at someone's house. Which is not actually that bad, really. So whatever, do what you want!


And that's it! Hope everyone has a great week, writing or otherwise :)

xoxo


15 comments:

  1. I appreciate speedy rejections as well. As nice as it would be to have a speedy "LET ME BE YOUR AGENT!", not having to wait months for a rejection is equally awesome. Good luck with your continuing querying experience :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Mandarin is good! And happy to be on the query train/merry go round with you! :-) I have only received one rejection so far but am expecting more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Zimmerman trial verdict was heart-breaking and sickening all at the same time. Thanks for sharing that video with us. Very powerful. I think there are a lot of us thinking about Trayvon.

    I probably mentioned this last week, but I still need to read LIKE MANDARIN. I loved WANDERLOVE and I have a copy of LM on my shelf. I remember reading the initial pages on Amazon some time back and totally getting sucked into the beautiful writing. Must read soon!

    I have to agree with you about fast agents. I like knowing that someone actually looked at my query rather than waiting for months on end and maybe or maybe not getting any kind of response. Good luck with that synopsis. So not my favourite part of the process, I tell ya. Bleh. Best of luck with your querying.

    P.S. I love coming to your blog, Rebecca. It's so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love LIKE MANDARIN! :) I'm super happy that you enjoyed reading it. I have a total writer crush on Kirsten Hubbard!

    Good luck with your queries. Sending you positive vibes for a querying endeavor that is as painless as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I totally agree with Jaime...your blog is GORGEOUS! <3

      Delete
  5. Congrats on sending out those queries! My CP's and I like to play a little game and give ourselves a nice reward for every 5 rejections we get. We make it something good that we normally wouldn't buy for ourselves. That way, I find I'm actually looking foward to getting those replies.

    Hope you have a great week, and fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your querying! Keep us posted. Hopefully soon you'll be getting quick manuscript requests, not just quick rejections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video! All I could think of was my own students--many, many of them young Black men--and the way they were frequently treated even by some of the school safety officers in NYC, let alone by people outside the school. Thanks for posting.

    And good luck with querying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent video - thank you so much for sharing it. Last week's verdict left me - like millions of others - in complete disbelief. But, I am a true believer in what goes around, comes around - even if we aren't there to see it when it happens, whatever form it is.

    Best of luck with your querying - I hope to read great news on your blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed LIKE MANDERIN a lot. Beautifully written. I've yet to read WANDERLOVE, but will sometime soon, I hope.

    It's interesting to read the agent's perspective on responding to queries--especially with rejections. They often ask "Is it okay to send a rejection during a holiday?" or "Do you prefer 'no-response-means-no' over a rejection?" Most writers I've read (myself included) prefer a quick rejection so we know where we stand. Often the waiting is worse than a "not for me, thanks!"

    All the best with your querying, Rebecca! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the shout out, Becky! I was disappointed not to get into the contest too, so you're in good company! I've also received a few rejections lately, and I agree that it's nice when agents are quick about it, though the one that came within hours of sending the query did sting a little. Wish she'd taken just a wee bit longer to decide lol. Hope the revisions continue to go well this week! Keep fighting to get those sentences out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speedy rejections are my second-favorite reaction from an agent (after anything remotely positive). I think the worst is no response... but I get that they're busy, etc. I still can't wrap my head around the Trayvon Martin decision. It makes me feel sick. The decision would not have been the same if the ethnicities had been switched (an Af-Am adult male shooting a white youth in 'self defense'). I don't see why people can't see that. Ug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the shout out! And good luck with the querying! I'm in the throes of it right now and I don't even like to think about it - probably a good thing.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the confetti! Rejections hurt, but IMO they're better than no response. Congrats on putting yourself out there. Good luck with polishing the synopsis. Wishing you and your query the best! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about the rejection, but I agree that fast responses are awesome. I'm on the query train right now too and the constant waiting and email refreshing gets to be too much sometimes! Crossing my fingers you get more positive replies soon!

    I haven't read either of Kristen Hubbard's books yet but I really want to! They both sound really good!

    Thanks for sharing that tumblr (love!) and video. I'm glad those Howard students are putting this message out there. I really hope things change.

    ReplyDelete