Sunday, 28 July 2013

A Little Adventure

So I'm taking up the YA Buccaneers flash fiction challenge today! (Or tonight, since it's eleven and I should probably be going to bed since I have work in the morning...but this is way more fun :) This month's theme is adventure--if you want to give it a shot, all you have to do is write a story around the theme in 200 words or less. Of course, there are some extra challenges if you're a flash fic pro, so definitely click over to find out more! And now, here's my attempt:

*   *   *   *   *

Walking on a Dream

            I set sail on a cloud of cool air. I haven’t been so weightless in forever, even five years ago and ten pounds lighter. Tonight, though, I soar.
            The trapeze is my favourite. The silks are fun, sure: twisting, spiraling towards the ground, the gasps when I flip into a split and flash my shiny teeth like it’s nothing to me, that’s chill-inducing.
            But swinging through the air, the moment of terror when I release and am suspended for long seconds, the exhilaration of the catch, oh—there’s nothing like it.
            The crowd’s loud tonight. I swing up onto the bar, my ice-queen leotard gleaming, and they cheer when I stick my chest out. I’m not sure where we are: Latvia? Estonia? All I know is I haven’t been in California since I was fifteen. I’m not even sure my parents still live there. They probably stayed, waiting for me, thinking I’d come back one day.
            Newsflash: girls who run away run for a reason. We don’t come back.
            Another cheer from the crowd, and I flick so I’m upside down, waving at them.
            They’re what keeps me so beautifully high.
            I just wish I never had to come down.


I haven't written any flash fiction in a long time--I always forget how much I love it. Hope you enjoyed!

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this, Rebecca! I am amazed by what you were able to do with so few words. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bridgid! I look forward to doing more of these challenges, it was so fun :)

      Delete
  2. This was so unique, Rebecca! I loved the opening line...I really wanted to know where the paragraph was going to take place from there. And you didn't disappoint!
    Well done! I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete