Wednesday, 12 June 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Ready. Set. WRITE!

Ready to set some writing goals?



What I'm Reading:

I've just started SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater (yeah, I'm very behind the times, I know) but I don't know if I'm going to keep going with it because I'm not sure I want to get into a series right now. And I had an Amazon splurge the other day, so now I have some sure-to-be-awesome books waiting for me...

What I'm Writing:



My summer writing goals are pretty general (I'll explain why.)

  1. Finish revising FATE AND OTHER GAMES.
  2. Start querying.
  3. Make some good progress on my rewrite.

I don't do very well with specific goals (like "I will write 10k this week!" or "Query by the end of June!") because I stress myself out trying to meet them, and then I feel really disappointed if I don't meet them. I'm also making them pretty general because I don't know exact;y what I'm going to have to do to finish my revisions; maybe they'll be done after this round, or maybe I'll have more to do--you can never know. As for my rewrite, I'm not setting any word or chapter goals for it because I don't know when I'll be able to move on to that, and it's quite possible that when I do get around to it I'll be at the stage where 30 words a day is good progress because these revisions will have killed my brain.


What Inspires Me Right Now:


Very specific this week, but I'm inspired by Leigh Ann Kopans (<--clickedy click because she's lovely!) She's just self-published her first book, ONE, and I've been following her journey from the announcement until now. I've been so impressed with the amount of effort, time, and heart she's put into it all, and how she's approached it. Seeing someone work so hard to achieve their goal is always inspiring, but there's something extra-special about this instance. I don't know what, exactly, but I will say that I got my copy of ONE on Monday (the first self-published book I've ever bought) and I can't wait to read it.


What Else I've Been Up To:

A pretty picture from my travels
Last week I said I was going to do something fun so I'd have something to write here...well! I hung out with a couple of my friends who are back home for the summer, got a pretty pedicure, treated myself to lunch at this cute French bistro, went wandering around Marlborough (which is a nice and very rah* town near me), bought some fancy chocolates, and played bingo (I almost won, but I was too nervous to shout out and so I made my friend  Alice do it, but she didn't know what to say, and long story short we made fools of ourselves in front of all the bingo hotshots and laughed hysterically through the next three games.)

I also went to the hospital to see the orthodontist this morning, because I have an underbite and crooked teeth and I've been wanting braces for so long...looks like I'll finally be getting them! Yay braces!


Can't wait to see what everyone's goals are and to start cheering everybody on :) As always, hop on over to Jaime's blog to see what everyone else is up to!

xoxo

*rah means posh. Kate Middleton is rah. Harry and Wills are super rah, dahling.

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your writing goals. I also don't set specific goals and prefer to just measure general progress over time. It would stress me out too much if I felt I absolutely had to write a set number of words or pages in one day or week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's good that you set goals that work for you. I definitely overshot on my goals this week, so I have my work cut out for me. Yikes. I bought a Kindle copy of ONE yesterday, so I'm pretty excited about reading it. I'm very impressed with this self-pubbed project of hers and I think she did a phenomenal job with it.

    Happy Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Maggie Stiefvater's books yet, but I've heard such great things about them all. I have had Scrorpio Races recommended many times, so it's in my next batch of books I'll buy. Then, if I love that, I'll move on to Shiver.

    Those are great goals! I am definitely a fan of knowing yourself enough to set goals that will work for you. I am trying to do the same. My fist goal is just simply to write every day. And I am even allowing myself leeway in case I don't meet it. I like how simple your goals are. You can do it!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *whispers* I haven't read Shiver either...every time I get it from the library, I end up having to return it before I get a chance to read it. I LOVED The Scorpio Races, though, so I'm hoping I'll love Shiver. You know, when I finally get around to reading it.

    I don't do well with super-specific goals, but I do at least need a deadline or else I won't get anything done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover for One. It's so pretty. It's always inspiring to watch your friends work hard and achieve their goals. Makes me teary : ) Glad you had a fun week. I just learned a new word. Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Maggie's writing, but I'll admit...I haven't read SHIVER. o.0
    The flexibility of the writing goals is one of the things I'm loving about Ready. Set. Write! I know I've never done that great with word-count goals, and what I can write changes from week to week. That's great that you can find some goals that'll work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck getting started with querying! It's worth it! :D

    I had braces back in my teens. My only advice? When you get to the retainer phase, WEAR IT. I stopped and now my teeth are pretty much back to how they were. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had an awesome week! And you're EXCITED about braces?! Can you project some of that enthusiasm on my kids? :)

    Also, SO glad you've joined us for Ready. Set. WRITE! I hope you have a wonderful writing week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW-- you can tell she put a lot of effort into it, because that cover is gorgeous. Very cool! I hear you on the non-specific goals. I'm not aiming for a weekly word count, either. I'm keeping it much more general for now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your RSW goals! I'm excited that we're all going to be working toward our goals together this summer. :)

    I've also been following Leigh Ann's journey toward self-publication and also find it inspiring! Her book sounds awesome and the cover is gorgeous. Can't wait to get my copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your writing goals! I loved Shiver! Everyone has been talking about the book ONE, I'm seriously going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to reread SHIVER. I read it a few years back, but borrowed my sister's copy. Now that I own the whole trilogy, I need to start over again. I'd also like to read ONE. It looks really good!

    This whole goal setting thing is new for me too. Usually I just write any chance I get, so I can't really fit any more in than what I'm already doing. It's a bit of an experiment, I guess. I started off with a manageable goal though, so that's good.

    It sounds like you had an awesome week! Good luck with revising, querying, and rewriting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, Tim Riggins (from your bio), yes! I just had to tell you I share the love. I read SHIVER and then I borrowed the audiobooks for LINGER and FOREVER from the library and discovered that I actually enjoyed listening to series more than I enjoyed reading it. Weird, I know.

    Good luck on your goals this summer. I think it's great that you know what will and will not work to motivate you. That's half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Specific goals stress me out, too--I like to try to set vague ones and focus on accountability.
    Glad you had a lovely week, and I hope this one is just as sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for explaining Rah, I have to say I was a tad confused :P and was about to Google it!
    I love your goals because you know best what you can and cannot do and how to go about it. Looking forward to cheering you on along the way! And your weeks sounds totally RAH (can a week be rah?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should get more general with my goals--I do get stressed by being specific, but I think I've been pretty realistic this time around. I'm excited to write with you this summer, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always behind in my reading. I have some winner that have been waiting in my Kindle for years.

    Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete