Wednesday, 1 May 2013

What's Up Wednesday!

What's that, a new wonderful weekly Wednesday post? Yes!


Thanks to Jaime and Erin for coming up with this, ensuring that I don't have to come up with my own topics to blog about (the well is running dry...)

What I'm Reading:

GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn--I'm less than 100 pages in, not quite knowing what to think of it yet...I haven't read an adult book in ages, so it's a change! I had a really slow reading month in April, and I'm hoping May will be much better. 

What I'm Writing:


I'm going through another round of revisions on my boy-meets-girl-meets-crazy-adventure MS. I had to rewrite a big chunk and tweak everything that came after it to reflect the changed events, which was scary to think about, but (hopefully) over now! So it's only small
changes left...well, in comparison. I'm stuck on what to do after that, though--send it out to more betas, or just start querying? I think this MS is good (remind me I said that the next time I'm bashing it, okay?) but I don't want to jump the gun!

What Else I've Been Up To:

I started my library assistant job a few weeks ago, and I am having such a good time. I work with books. BOOKS. How could I not enjoy it?!

Since it's spring, I'm "spring cleaning" my room. What that actually means is I move the pile of magazines on top of the pile of clothes, clean that patch of carpet, and put them back. It's a system...of some kind.

What Inspires Me Right Now:

Is there something in the water? There seems to be a TON of good writerly news at the moment, and that's what's inspiring me. Seeing all the book deals, agent announcements, even just those "I finished a draft!" tweets--they put me in a good mood and make me think that even though writing is hard and getting published is difficult, it's NOT IMPOSSIBLE! Which is good :)

I'm also feeling very inspired by the sun coming out, which means I get to work outside sometimes instead of trapped in the house, or the library, or the coffee shop...yay! The fresh air makes me so much more productive, I swear.



Hop over to Jaime's blog to see everyone else's What's Up Wednesday posts :)

10 comments:

  1. I really should read GONE GIRL. I read SHARP OBJECTS a couple months ago and wasn't crazy about some of the content (it was grittier than I prefer), but I think that was more book-specific. I loved Gillian Flynn's writing style, though. Happy to hear that your revision is coming along nicely. It'll be so much better in the end, I'm sure! And I know what you mean about "something in the water". It does seem like there is an abundance of good news lately. Makes it seem that much more attainable, doesn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a little bit of grit, so if that's Gillian Flynn's style then I should love GONE GIRL (and SHARP OBJECTS too). I just love seeing all the good news floating around and all the excitement surrounding it--puts a smile on my face :)

      Delete
  2. I loved GONE GIRL. The characters got on my nerves sometimes but it was just so riveting! I love a book that keeps me turning the page like that.

    So cool that you work as a library assistant! I work with books too and it's the best.

    Good luck with your revision!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to really get into the story--I'm already finding myself asking questions and I'm so early in! I can tell it's going to be one that stays with me. Working with books is the best--except for when I get distracted from my work by reading them. I don't think that's exactly what they're paying me for, haha!

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome you're enjoying your job as a library assistant. What a great place to work--and to have first pick of all the new books! I totally hear you on rewriting. It's such a tricky process, because everything can start to unravel if you're not careful. Good luck with the last of your revisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh all the unraveling! That's the worst! Luckily I have lots (and lots) of lists to keep everything straight...I hope :)

      Delete
  4. I would love to work in a library! For sure!

    Santa brought me GONE GIRL for Christmas but I haven't read it yet. He got a really good deal on it at amazon, apparently. I know it's all the rage, but it's not very far up on my TBR.

    I'd be happy to look at the changes you've made on your ms if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sara, you are TOO sweet :) I'm really getting into GONE GIRL now, it started kind of slow but it's got me hooked!

      Delete
  5. Hey there! What a great post. You're inspired simply by the sun coming up! I like your style.

    I finished GONE GIRL last year. *shivers*. I heard G. Flynn is writing YA now. *hides under covers*

    Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany! Well, the sun just brightens everyone's mood, doesn't it? I heard that too...I'm kind of terrified.

      Delete