Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Roses Are Red

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

We'd love for you to participate! Just answer the prompt on your own blog and leave a link - or, if you prefer, you can include your answer in the comments.

This Week's Topic is: It's (the day before) Valentine's Day! Let's jumpstart the lovefest by blogging about what you love most about writing (and/or reading)!



What I love about reading: wanderlust-inducing settings and crazy new worlds. Reading something that makes you feel like someone has seen the inside of your head and put it in a book. Reading something that makes you laugh so hard you cry, or that makes you cry so hard you just have to laugh. Swoony book boys! And I especially love finding something that is so good that it makes me want to become a better writer.

What I love about writing: creating something out of nothing. Coming up with cool characters and developing them until they feel real. When you've been struggling with a scene or a plot point and then you get That Moment when everything clicks into place. Reading something back and thinking that hey, this actually doesn't suck! The best part of writing: connecting with other people who are doing the same crazy thing as you, getting to read their work, seeing them achieve great things, making awesome friends, and getting nothing but support from them. Cheesy Valentine's to you all :)

xoxo

20 comments:

  1. Ooh, great answers. I love the reckless abandon of drafting, and the "this actually doesn't suck" part isn't too bad, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that first 10k when it's just fun and free...the best :)

      Delete
  2. With reading novels, I love it when the story is so well written and engaging, I can just read for hours without once leaving the author's world. Bad grammar, poor sentence structure, unbelievable characters--these are all things that pull me out of a story.

    As for writing, yes, that moment when you read something back--maybe days or weeks later--and you think, "Did I write this? It's actually very good!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, being completely within the story so that when you look up you're like, "WHAT time is it?!" I live for those books!

      Delete
  3. I agree wholeheartedly with all of your reasons for loving reading and writing. All of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have fantastic reasons! I really love "That Moment", when all the lights come on. My problem is that it'll come to me at the most inconvenient times. Like, 2 AM, or at work, or while driving, or someplace where I can't sit down and write it all RIGHT NOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I had one at work last week and then I had to spend the rest of my shift keeping it in my head so I didn't forget before I got home! Nightmare.

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love That Moment too, when you're like, how can I make this work and then suddenly... I'VE GOT IT!!! I'm seriously getting teary eyed just thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could bottle that feeling and sell it I would be a billionaire!

      Delete
  6. I love it! I haven't quite got to the "this actually doesn't suck" part yet. I'm still at the "my ideas are actually good enough to write" part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep going! You'll get there soon! And it feels spectacular :)

      Delete
  7. My "why I love writing" is pretty similar to yours!

    I also love connecting with all the other writers on the same path as me! It's a great community to be a part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? It's so hard to talk to friends/fam about queries and plotting vs. pantsing when they have not one clue what any of it means. Probably excruciatingly boring for them, too, so it's a good thing we have other writers to offload to :)

      Delete
  8. You captured everything perfectly with these reasons. I think this one was great: "I especially love finding something that is so good that it makes me want to become a better writer." Because really, we should try to incorporate everything we love about reading into the stories we write. They always say to write the story you want to read. Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) You're right about writing the stories we want to read--I think they have so much more depth that way :)

      Delete
  9. Nice! I love this, too: "Reading something back and thinking that hey, this actually doesn't suck!" It shouldn't be so surprising, but it always is, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always, always is! But such a better-remember-this-feeling moment when it happens too, haha :)

      Delete
  10. I love your answers. :) Especially:
    "And I especially love finding something that is so good that it makes me want to become a better writer."

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much here I love too : ) Particularly reading back something and feeling 'hey this doesn't suck' It's such an extraordinary moment!

    ReplyDelete