Tuesday, 22 January 2013

THE DISENCHANTMENTS!

You guys. This book.

This book has been on my TBR list for a long time.

It was given to me for my birthday, by this gal who I have known for longer than I can remember:

{the one wearing sunglasses}
with this message inside:

{cuteness overload}

So when I finally got around to reading this I was SO HAPPY that it lived up to my expectations. Actually, way surpassed my expectations. 

This a story about best friends Bev and Colby. They're going to Europe after graduation, and after spending the summer touring with Bev's band. At least, that was the plan. Then Bev tells Colby that she's going to college instead and just like that everything changes.

Oh, this story is so painful and sweet and hopeful. The characters--Bev and Colby, their friends Meg and Alexa, people who come in and out and mean a lot or a little--are all so vibrant and different. It's a roadtrip story, where they pass through all these tiny nothing towns, maybe just like the one you grew up in. There is so much music involved, from the girls' band to Heart to Diana Ross to Sleater-fucking-Kinney (heroes). It crept up on me, how much I loved it; I don't think I really realised until I was reading the last page and crying.

You know how much I loved this book? I wrote AND SENT an email to Nina LaCour to tell her about my love. That's right, shameless fangirl alert!

Basically I just want everyone else in the world to read this book and fall in love with it the way I did. Which brings me to...

A GIVEAWAY!

Yes, you can win this book! Wherever you live in the world, I will send it to you! Because I'm nice like that. So, to enter just leave a comment on this post. About what you would call your all-girl band, where you'd like to take a roadtrip to/through, what the last book you really loved was...whatever. You can just comment saying "I want to win this book!", it doesn't matter. And then I will (literally) put names in a hat and pull them out (I like to kick it old school). How does that sound?

{win me!}


(You don't have to follow me but gee, it'd be swell if you did!)

I have been wanting to do a giveaway for a while, and this just seems like the perfect book to do it with :) How long shall I leave this open for? Two weeks? Yeah, that'll do.

Yay for giveaways! And books that make me cry!

16 comments:

  1. Aaaah, if I had a nickel for every time someone told me how great this book is, I could buy this book! If I had a girl band, we'd be super nerdy; maybe a themed band? Like, there's wizard rock and Time Lord rock...maybe we'd be something like Downton Abbey rock (possible band names: The 'Oh Daisy's, Lady Edith and the Suffragettes, The Dowager Countesses) or Mad Men rock (Betty and the Drapers, The Chip'n'Dips, Trudy Campbell's Hats).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Betty and the Drapers sounds like the best band ever. I want this to happen.

      Delete
  2. Ah so generous of you! This book has been on my TBR list for a long time as well, because I cannot resist a good road trip story! If I could take a road trip anywhere I think it would be across America. I want to go all over Europe to, but I have this image of driving through America in an old-style open topped mustang, just looking out at the roads ahead. It would be amazing. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am DYING to roadtrip across America. It's one of those things you plan with your mates and dream of doing, isn't it? And the Mustang...definitely. Maybe a VW Beetle, that would be super cute!

      Delete
    2. Ah I love VW Beetles! Would love an original Beetle, would be so cool!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a really fun read. :) I have a ton of books on my TBR list, but I'm always up for adding more! :)
    I've never had a real road trip. (I've driven cross country to horse shows, but I don't think that counts.) Some day I will. A road trip is one kind of trip I might actually be able to talk my husband into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a super fun read :) I think everyone should take a road trip once in their life!

      Delete
  4. I've heard great things about this book, I'd love to have a read!

    Like Rachel, I've never been on a road trip, either. I'd quite like to change that, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Road trippin' around the UK doesn't seem quite as exciting as Europe or America, does it? Still might see if my friends are up for a jaunt to the seaside this year though!

      Delete
  5. Like Jess, I've had this book recommended to me a bunch of times but still need to read it. This review just makes me that much more excited about it. Because I'm super cheesy (and am writing a PERSUASION retelling), I'd maybe call my band something like Half Hope or if it was something a little more emo, I'd call it Half Agony (both are from Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne Elliot in PERSUASION). Like I said, I'm cheesy and really have no business starting a band. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheesy theme bands are cool, too :)

      Delete
  6. About what you would call your all-girl band, where you'd like to take a roadtrip to/through, what the last book you really loved was

    All-Girl Band: The Jeggings

    Road-Trip: across Europe

    Last book I really loved: Just finished Tina Fey's BOSSYPANTS - so Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read BOSSYPANTS! Also, I would listen to The Jeggins, no doubt.

      Delete
  7. I love this author and her books! I met her during the YA or Bust tour and regret not picking up the book. I LOVE Miranda!

    Btw, followed you on GFC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's awesome! She sounds so lovely from everything I've read/heard :) Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I once came up with the name Stranded Hero and I thought it would make a really good band name but I didn't have a band so I used it for an email address instead. So there's that.

    I would love to road trip across Europe. Much more interesting than Canada given the amount of time you have to spend in a car. Plus I've already done Canada twice. That's enough wilderness driving for me :)

    ReplyDelete