Sunday, 11 November 2012

Home Stretch Distractions

I'm 50k into my WIP, enough closer to the end than the beginning to start thinking about finishing it and seeing the light at the end of the drafting tunnel. Now is the time to dig deep, concentrate on putting the words down, figure out how to wrap everything up in the best possible way.

I love you, Scrivener. I am mildly fond of you, 50,000 words contained within.

So of course, now is the time when I start being unable to think of anything but a new story.

Never mind the fact that after I finish this draft I'm going back to my Holland Falls WIP (WIP one, I'll call it) to do more revisions. Never mind that after I've finished those I'll go back to this WIP (WIP two) and do first-round edits. And then back to WIP one, and back to WIP two, and so on and so forth, until I start querying WIP one, which I really hope to do sometime in the first half of next year...

No, Brain just keeps ticking over, plotting new things, and new characters keep sneaking in and saying, "Hey, look at us! We're new and we're oh-so-pretty. Make a playlist for us! Make a Pinterest board for us! Think of ways to emotionally devastate us!"

But I say NO, new things. I will not think of you, I will not dream of you. I will keep on writing WIP two and you can just wait until I am ready to deal with you, whenever that may be.

(But, like, noting down a few things doesn't really count, does it? And making a new Scrivener doc to put them in is fine, right?)

(Oh dear.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believer in letting your muse write what she wants...if you stop her from writing one thing, she may take it out on something else. And, well, we don't want that.

    Besides, as long as you commit and keep coming back to what needs to be done, you'll get it done. Maybe set up some super cool reward for what needs to be done - i/e a spa day if you finish? Makes it something to look forward to and you'll do it!

    Best of luck, B. - you'll get it done! And you might also have a few new ideas to boot!

    Stop on over at my blog tomorrow - my post with our AWESOME video will be up (it goes live at 12am PST)!!! It turned out so friggin' a-mazing (I know, not biased at all). Thank you so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spa day, now that's an idea...or a dream, haha! I'm just trying to push on with this and not get too distracted. This is what always happens around this time of a draft with me, so I'm sort of used to it now :)

      Video is AWESOME!

      Delete