Friday, 19 October 2012

Books That Hurt

Sometimes a book will get you right in the heart. Just like a song can (Sufjan Stevens' Borderline), or a film (the end of Garden State). So here are five heartbreaking books that I love:


1. IF I STAY--oh, God, don't even. I can't. The sobbing that occurred when I finished this book...so much so that I am afraid to start Where She Went, even though it's been sitting on my shelf for months and I really, really want to read it. I felt like I held my breath the entire way through.

2. CRACKED UP TO BE--can I just mention the one thing that really got me? The finger snapping. Do you know what I mean? I really think this book broke me. Horrible characters doing horrible things and trying to deal with the most horrible thing ever. Broken.

3. A CERTAIN SLANT OF LIGHT--I love weird and different stories, and this one about ghostly people and disappeared spirits and love is just the best. The BEST.

4. MEMOIRS OF A TEENAGE AMNESIAC--I finished this, turned back to the beginning and read it again. Something about two broken people trying to fix themselves with each other...ugh. So good.

5. THE AMBER SPYGLASS--I WILL NOT ruin this book for you. I will just say words: Eve. Bench. Oxford. Hopefully if you've read it you understand what I'm saying.

If you haven't yet had your feelings destroyed by any of these books then I suggest you read them straight away. Who needs a functioning heart anyway?


4 comments:

  1. I haven't actually read any of these books, but I know what you mean about books that break your heart. Most recently the books that have done this for me are The Fault in our Stars by John Green and Before I Die by Jenny Downham. The tears, oh the tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but If I Stay is on my TBR! Can't wait to read that one :) Will definitely look into these others. They sound intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how many times I've heard IF IS STAY and WHERE SHE WENT recommended, and still I have yet to read them. I'll take this as another push toward reading them finally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love IF I STAY! And WHERE SHE WENT got me too. If you haven't read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS you must. It will definitely top this list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete