Wednesday, 1 February 2012

My Favourite Characters: Cyd Charisse

I have read Gingerbread by Rachel Cohn so many times that I can recite whole passages from memory:

"They take one look at his five-foot-five, surfer-shirt-wearin', baggy-jeans-slouchin', pop-tart-eatin', spiked-hair-head-self and you can just see confusion firebombs exploding in their heads, like they are thinking, Oh no, Cyd Charisse, that young man is not your homes.
   Dig this: he is."

I have read it so much that when I am reading it now I don't think I actually look at the page, I just have a little tape-player reading it out in my mind:

"I don't want you to have to like go to church and say a million Hail Marys because you had  consensual sex with an underage girl. But bases one, two and three are wide open, so why not take a shot at bat?"

I have read it so much that I think I may have sapped all the enjoyment from it:

           "Cyd Charisse's pieces is home and she's in fucking trou-trou-trouble!"

Who am I kidding? I could never stop enjoying this book.

Cyd Charisse (heretofore referred to as "CC") is awesome on oh-so-many levels. One, she is named after the legendary dancer-actress-sex bomb. Two, she is this goth-punk hybrid with black hair down to here, black skirt up to here and black platform boots that sometimes cause her to trip and fall at inopportune moments. Three, the words that come out of her mouth are truly spectacular. As a girl who likes to drop words like "dope", "wack", and "grody" without any hint of irony, CC's vocabulary appeals to me on a spiritual level. And four, she has big love for Ava Gardner, who happens to be my idol. We are soul sisters.

CC also has some very definite goals in life: to find the perfect cup of coffee, to learn how to make perfect potstickers, and to find her True Love. Soulmates again! (Minus coffee, bleurgh.) And while she may look punk on the outside, on the inside she is all about grooving out to disco. Soulmate, soulmate, soulmate!

CC is so many different things that she cannot be described in just one word. But if you like your girls outspoken, slightly loopy, unafraid of a five-inch platform and partial to dreamy, drool-worthy surfer/b-ball boys, then Cyd Charisse is the chica for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment