Saturday, 17 December 2011

On Thinking...(whilst giving blood)

Lately I have been having one of those phases where I don't know what to write or how to write it, and I keep distracting myself from actually working by doing useful things like chatting shit to my friends on Faceyb and watching Season 4 of Six Feet Under and knitting a snood.

But the other day I went to give blood. As you can imagine, this involves a little bit of lying on a bed doing nothing (except clenching and unclenching your fist). While I was lying there, I thought about how when I got home I was definitely going to write, for sure, and then, because I had nothing else to do, I sort of started to write in my head. This is actually what I often do, I write and rewrite and edit in my head, and then I actually put it down on paper (in Word document). See, my problem hadn't actually been that I didn't know what to write - I knew exactly what I was going to write then, and the bit that comes after it - but I'd just been having trouble getting started. So as my precious O+ was being sucked out of me, I fixed my own problem. Easy, really.

I think the real problem is that no-one ever really sits and does nothing anymore. We're always in front of computers or reading magazines or listening to the radio. I mean, why would anyone sit down to write without anything to actually write with/on? But I think all that sitting in front of a blank screen puts so much pressure on you to create something that fills the empty space - and then, when you can't, you start getting stressed, and then you think, "Well, I'll just check my email, and maybe Tumblr, and ASOS in case they have any new shoes I simply must see." Or is that just me?

Anyway, my point is that sometimes we should step away from computers, televisions, books, cooking, cleaning and whatever else, and just sit in silence for ten minutes. And if genius doesn't strike...at least you've had ten minutes of truly doing nothing. Who doesn't love that?

P.S. You should all give blood, and also sign up to be bone marrow donors, and hey, while you're at it, why not give away some of your platelets? Because you don't really need them all, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment