Friday, 23 December 2011

On Not Getting Rejected

At least, for the time being.

Yeah, that's right. Who got a request for a full yesterday? This gurl.

There I was, waiting for my friends to get to my house so we could prelash* and casually checking all my internet things i.e. Tumblr, Perez, Faceyb, Hotmail, Gmail. And in my Gmail inbox was a message from one of the agents I queried - cue "Oh my God, I don't really need to get rejected before I'm supposed to go out right now" - and so I opened it, and imagine my surprise when it did not read "Thank you for your interest but blah blah blah", but actually said "Please send me the whole manuscript"!

Now cue clapping hands and "Shut up. Shut up! Shut up!"


And then cue oh-my-God-how-do-I-respond-when-should-I-send-it-why-does-my-word-count-say-50,000not-53,000-what-is-going-on-with-my-formatting-WHY-HAVE-THESE-INDENTS-GONE-WRONG-I-CAN'T-DEAL-WITH-THIS-RIGHT-NOW-oh-it-was-only-a-few-pages-what-should-I-save-this-document-as-press-send-now-now-NOW-aaaand-it's-gone.

So my baby has gone out into the wild world and hopefully in a few months I wil have a response. It might be good (please be good!!!) and it might be bad, but even if this doesn't end up going anywhere, it has been a pretty good moment for me. I mean, my first request! I might print it out and stick it on my wall**. If anything, it has given me confidence that I'm doing things at least slightly right. I MEAN, A REQUEST FOR A FULL! Shit yeah.

In all my whirlwind of panic, this article was really useful and so was this one. And now I'm going to bed because it's Christmas Eve tomorrow and I have to trek to London to see the fam. MERRY CHRISTMAS!


p.s. I got a new tat this week, which reads "Clear eyes, full hearts". If you don't know what that refers to, then I don't want to know you. If you do, then you are probably fighting back tears right now thinking about Coach etc.


*put on make-up and our fanciest clothes and drink lots of alcohol (except for me because I don't drink)

**not even joking

No comments:

Post a Comment